Like pho, bun is also used widely in Vietnamese cuisine. For its versatile nature, Vietnamese eat bun for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even midnight meal.
The following are among the most common dish with bun:
- Bun thang: Bun served with spiced broth, sliced fried eggs, sliced boiled chicken, sliced green onion, etc… Bun Thang is among the most beautifully decorated variety of bun.
- Bun oc: Bun served with tomato-based broth, snails, fried tofu, shrimp paste and a variety of herbs. Unless you are allergic to snail, you definitely should give this dish a try.
- Bun rieu: Bun served with tomato-based broth, crab meat, fried tofu and a variety of herbs. Because most ingredients are the same as ¨bun oc¨, you can easily find these two in the same restaurants.
- Bun ngan/ Bun vit: Bun served with spiced broth and duck
- Bun cha: Bun served with grilled meat ball, dipping sauce and greens. A Hanoi´s specialty, this dish has a number of varieties such as Bun Thit Nuong – Bun with skewed Pork.
- Bun bo: There are two version of Bun bo, one from Hue, the other from Southern Vietnam. Bun bo Hue is a noodle soup with pork feet and tomato-based broth, while Bun Bo Nam Bo is bun served with spiced fish sauce, sautéed beef and garlic, peanuts and greens.
- Bun ca: bun soup with fish. Though it does not sound like a good combination, the mixture is actually exquisite and mouthwatering.
- Bun dau: bun served with deep fried tofu, greens and either fish sauce or shrimp paste. If you cannot put up with the wicked fragrance (but delicious once you eat) of shrimp paste, go with the fish sauce. Either will give you an experience what food of commonality is like.
Join the conversation
Your comment...POST COMMENT VIEW ALL
Join the conversation
ALL COMMENTS (0)
There are no comments. Add your comment to start the conversation.
Vietnamese Fruits - An Overview
Being geographically located in the tropical zone, Vietnam is truly a heaven when it comes to fruits.
Vietnamese Cakes - A Closer Look At Vietnam's Most Varied Food
An overview to the different types of cake in Vietnam.
Vietnamese Noodles - An Overview
An introduction to Vietnamese noodles.