Grilled bananas with desiccated coconut
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2tsp desiccated coconut
- 2 bananads
- Steam bananas in 15 minutes, then let it cool
- Roll steamed bananas in desiccated coconut. Mix with sugar and desiccated coconut.
- Pack the mixture in banana leaf in 30 minutess.
- Roast until the leaf turns red brown.
- Serve banana when cool.
Óc trần lá ngải is listed among the most horror foods for foreign visitors in Vietnam.
Riding along the crowded streets of Saigon in the afternoon, people can often be attracted by a fragrant and spicy smell of seasoned grilled rolls of beef, stemming from moving-stalls blurred in the smoke from charcoal flame. This dish, wrapped up in wild betel leaf, has become a favorite snack of Vietnamese, particularly Saigonese, to serve with beer or wine.
Snakehead fish congee can appear as a normal dish of the commoners, but to those who first taste, that dish served in hotpot style is quite a surprise.