180g sticky rice flour
20g rice flour
200ml warm water
150g dark palm sugar balls
Roasted sesame seeds
1. Prepare the dough: blend the two kinds of flour together. Gradually add in water, mixing until the dough turns smooth, elastic and glutinous. Cover and rest.
2. Pinch a little dough and flatten it out. Place a sugar ball in the middle and roll into a small ball. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
3. Bring water to a boil. Fill another bowl with warm water.
4. When the water is boiled, drop the rice balls in batches. Then, bring the water to the boil again. Wait until the balls float to the surface of the pot to take them out by a slotted ladle. Then, put them into the bowl of cold water right away so they are separate from each other.
5. Put the balls on a plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds. A plate of floating cakes is ready to serve and should be eaten within a day.
Traditionally, floating cake is white but you could make it more colorful by adding food coloring to the dough.
Was this helpful for you?