Braised Tofu with Coconut
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
This is an ideal dish for vegetarians: easy, cheap and fast to make.
- 3 packs of tofu (medium or soft)
- 1 Cup coconut
- 1 Cup coconut milk
- Sugar, salt, pepper, cooking oil
- Cut tofu into medium square pieces, fry with cooking oil until it has golden brown color.
- Clean coconut, slice into pieces of about 3 cm, season with some spice
- Boil sugar with some water to make caramel, put coconut pieces in, stir some minutes then pour coconut milk. When the mixture is boiled, put fried tofu in, season with sugar, salt, pepper. Continue to simmer until only one-third of coconut milk is left.
This dish is served hot with cooked rice.
Óc trần lá ngải is listed among the most horror foods for foreign visitors in Vietnam.
Riding along the crowded streets of Saigon in the afternoon, people can often be attracted by a fragrant and spicy smell of seasoned grilled rolls of beef, stemming from moving-stalls blurred in the smoke from charcoal flame. This dish, wrapped up in wild betel leaf, has become a favorite snack of Vietnamese, particularly Saigonese, to serve with beer or wine.
Snakehead fish congee can appear as a normal dish of the commoners, but to those who first taste, that dish served in hotpot style is quite a surprise.