Braised Fish with Coconut Milk
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
The culinary artistry is subtly expressed through the combination of coconut milk and fish, in this dish, the smell of fish is not only reduced but also become more delicious.
- 1lb fish fillet, trout or haddock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 1 red chili.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 ounces coconut milk
- Heat oil, gently fry the fish.
- Add fish sauce, pepper, chili and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat until the fish is cooked and coconut milk mostly evaporates
- Remove the fish fillets and place on a serving dish. Sprinkle with pepper.
This dish is best served with hot rice. If you have a clay pot, that would be ideal to make this dish.
Óc trần lá ngải is listed among the most horror foods for foreign visitors in Vietnam.
Riding along the crowded streets of Saigon in the afternoon, people can often be attracted by a fragrant and spicy smell of seasoned grilled rolls of beef, stemming from moving-stalls blurred in the smoke from charcoal flame. This dish, wrapped up in wild betel leaf, has become a favorite snack of Vietnamese, particularly Saigonese, to serve with beer or wine.
Snakehead fish congee can appear as a normal dish of the commoners, but to those who first taste, that dish served in hotpot style is quite a surprise.