Taking place every Sunday’s morning, Bac Ha is the local market where ethnic communities living in Lao Cai Province gather to exchange and trade goods. Bac Ha Market attracts tourists from all over Vietnam as well as foreigners for the original and diverse features of culture. People can visit Bac Ha Market by catching buses from Lao Cai Terminal or Sapa Terminal, as it is located 70km far from Lao Cai City and 80km from Sapa Town.
Every day, there are three buses departing from Lao Cai Terminal at 6 a.m., 11 a.m., and 1 p.m., with the fare around VND 70,000. In addition, passengers who travel by train can get off at Pho Lu station, which is only 50km far from the market; and then use local buses or motorbike service.
From Sapa, tourists have several alternatives to go to Bac Ha Market: buses or motorbike. There are direct buses from Sapa Terminal with the ticket price of VND 80,000; and it will take up to three hours to reach Bac Ha Market.
Tourists can also hire motorbike (Minsk is the most popular) for VND 100,000/day and enjoy the wildly picturesque sceneries on the way to Bac Ha. The route passes through Ban Phiet; then following Highway 70 for about 40-50km, turning left at the three-way crossroad leading to Bac Ha.
Tips: Use our Route Planner Tool (http://routeplanner.vietnamonline.com/) to find the best way to get from Sapa to Bac Ha.
Thank you for writing to us. Gluten-free travellers will not have a hard time in Vietnam, because the main meal in Vietnam involves rice instead of wheat (see how rice is used in Vietnam). Major dishes such as "Pho" (beef noodle), "Nem" (spring rolls) are made purely from rice.
The concept of gluten allergy and gluten free meal are not popular in Vietnam at all. You may find these niche products, however, in the expat area of Hanoi (Xuan Dieu road) and Ho Chi Minh City (Pham Ngu Lao street).
The advice we have for you is to check with the hotel and restaurants to verify that the ingredients do not contain wheat (bot my in Vietnamese). If you stay at upper-scale hotels in Hanoi or in Ho Chi Minh City, check with the hotel chef or restaurant head to ensure a gluten free meal.
A few popular food that will contain gluten for sure that you should avoid (this may help with the Vietnamese vocabulary):
- Any food with a "banh" (including baguette, baked goods, ..)
- Any food with a "my" (including egg noogle, instant noodle)
- Any food with a "quay" (fried fritter dough)
- Any food with a "tam bot" (Vietnamese term for fried fish or meat with a flour coating)
We hope this is helpful to you and your family. Bon Voyage!
Answer: The cheapest option is UberTaxi. You just need to pick up a SIM card at the airport and use Uber app to call a Uber taxi. This brand is cheaper than other normal taxis in Saigon. The airport in Viet Nam also has their own taxi branch. Besides, lots of other favorite taxi brands like Mai Linh, 3A, Vinasun are available around the airport with the affordable price of around 180,000 VND (US$9).
Yes. Vietnam is a country with full of photographic opportunities with such diverse landscape, beautiful coastline and mountain. However, please do note that photography in or near military installations, airports or similar locations is strictly prohibited. Anyone caught doing so will have the film, and possibly the camera or camcorder, confiscated and may be arrested.
Previously, Vietnamese people did not have the habit of tipping; however, a boom in tourism allows this western life style to be adapted by the local. The most common situations to give tips are eating at restaurants, taking a taxi or hiring a tour guide. It all depends on the quality of services they provide you as well as yours’ satisfaction. To a taxi driver, 50 cents to $1is greatly appreciated, but not common. In a luxury restaurant, you can leave the change or a VND 50,000 note (about $2.5) which is really generous. In some upscale spa or hotels, a service fee of 10% is often added, so tipping is not necessary.
For a private tour, $5 tip per day for the tour guide and half of it for the driver is acceptable. If you are pleased with the service provided and find the trip enjoyable, some more dollars might be a good motivation and they would be happy to receive because they are deserved to it.
Remember: 50,000 ($2.5) and 100,000 ($5) are considered big notes in Vietnam!
Read more about Tipping culture in Vietnam.
Vietnam Airlines has several offices in North America, including San Francisco. The address for Vietnam Airlines San Francisco office is:
Address: 88 Kearny St # 1400 San Francisco, CA 94108
Telephone: (415) 677-0888
Toll free: 1-866-677-8909
Fax: (415) 677-9788
You can also contact the office by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
The opening hours of San Francisco office is Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM. Note that the office is closed on Saturday and Sunday and major holidays.
Other useful information about Vietnam Airlines:
Question: What is carry-on baggage allowance for Vietnam Airlines?
Answer: According to Vietnam Airline’s policy, each Economy Class passenger can carry 1 piece of baggage on board, meanwhile, each Business Class passenger can carry two pieces. Each piece has a maximum weight of 7kg and the sum of three dimensions is required to not exceed 115cm (56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm) or (22 x 14 x 9 inches). In case your hand baggage exceeds the required weights and dimensions, Vietnam Airlines has rights to refuse to carry your hand baggage and request the baggage to be transferred as checked baggage.
Question: Can we bring our laptop along with our hand baggage in Vietnam Airlines?
Answer: Yes, you can. In addition to free hand baggage allowance, Vietnam Airlines allows passengers to carry the following personal object on board without additional fees:
- A handbag, pocket book or lady's purse, i.e.;
- An overcoat, wrap or blanket;
- An umbrella or walking stick (except one with metal-filled sharp pointed end);
- A laptop computer, a small camera and/or a binoculars;
- A reasonable amount of reading materials for in-flight reading only;
- Infant's food for consumption in flight;
- Infant's carrying basket or bassinet;
- A fully collapsible wheel chair;
- A pair of crutches and/or braces or other prosthetic device for the passenger's use;
You can fly with pets inside Vietnam with Vietnam Airlines, all you need is 24-36 hour notice in advance. You cannot, however, bring your pet on the train, as far as I am concerned.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions!
The long plan trip across the ocean can be a nightmare for many travellers, including those experienced ones. A plane trip to Vietnam, unless departing from Hong Kong or Southeast Asia, will be a great pain for some. For example, from Toronto or New York to Hanoi, it takes 17 hours onboard, excluding the transiting time. Here is what you can do to alleviate the long trip pain:
1. Read your travel guide book: Sections in the Lonely Planet such as History and Geography are often scantily skimmed when you arrive. The time on the plane, however, can be an ideal period to know more about Vietnam. Imagine when you talk to the locals, you can be proud to think of yourself as "just-not-another-tourist".
2. Start your travel dairy: the boring landscape inside an airplane, with neither internet nor your favourite baseball match, can be an ideal environment for reflection. Think about where you are now, what you have prepared for the trip and what you are expecting. You will have fun revisiting these pages upon returning to your home country.
3. Make your to-do list: what food do you want to try, where do you want to visit, what do you want to learn, whom will you be telling your story along the way. Making to-do list can be a great way to make yourself satisfied after the trip to Vietnam.
4. Talk to your seat-mate: you never know whom you are sitting next to, until you TRY. Break the ice and make a new friend. Why not? You are going to Vietnam, a most-likely-totally-foreign place anyway.
5. Sleep: Sleeping is the best way to kill time and to help you avoid jetlag later when you land. Avoid caffeinated drinks whenever possible.