Nguyen Tat Thanh Street
Nguyen Tat Thanh Street is the most important boulevard in District 4, Ho Chi Minh City
Nguyen Tat Thanh Street is the most important boulevard in District 4, Ho Chi Minh City. The street stretches over 2 kilometers, goes through District 1 and the eastern territory of District 4, angling towards the south-westerly direction to Nha Be. It is the route of transporting import & export cargo from Ho Chi Minh City to Southern provinces and vice versa. Therefore, the daily traffic density on this route is very high. The street was honored with the name of Nguyen Tat Thanh, who later became Uncle Ho – the beloved leader of Vietnamese people.
Located at the junction of the Ben Nghe Channel and Sai Gon River (at No 1 Nguyen Tat Thanh Street) is Ho Chi Minh Museum, also called Dragon House Wharf – one of the attractive tourism destinations in Ho Chi Minh City. The building has the two dragon-shaped symbols on its top. It was the place where President Ho Chi Minh embarked on Admiral Latouche Treville to go abroad to struggle for Vietnam’s independence in June, 1911. In 1979, Dragon House was chosen as Ho Chi Minh Museum. The museum displays pictures and objects about President Ho Chi Minh.
Khanh Hoi Communal House located at 73 Nguyen Tat Thanh Street is one of the four ancient communal houses in District 4. It was located on the edge of Ben Nghe Canal (Doan Nhu Hai Street now). The house was burned along with Khanh Hoi Village by French Colonist in 1858. In 1935, the house was rebuilt at its current position.