Visa Exemption for Vietnamese American
Vietnamese overseas residing in the US and their American spouses or children are eligible for a visa exemption.
Vietnamese overseas residing in the US and do not have Vietnam passport
Americans who is spouse or children of a Vietnam passport-holder or overseas Vietnamese Duration: The maximum period of exemption is 5 years and must be 6 month shorter than the validity of the current valid passport. During the exemption period, the person can travel in and out of the country without a tourist visa.
How to Apply
You can apply by mail or in person. If you apply by mail, please submit along with your application a pre-paid postal envelop with tracking information such as USPS priority or Fedex.
Send all relevant documents to
- Embassy Address: 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
- Consulate Address: Consulate Address: 1700 California St., Suite 430 San Francisco, CA 94109
Requirements for Vietnamese Overseas
- 1 visa exemption application form (mienthithucvk.mofa.gov.vn/Đăngký/Khaibáotrựctuyến/tabid/104/VE4NCommand/registration/Default.aspx)
- Current passport in use, Re-entry permit or green card: an original and a photocopy
- 2 passport sized photos 2x2 inches or 4x6 cm
- Proof of identity that you are an overseas Vietnamese: the original version and a photocopy version. They can be Permit to come back to Vietnam, or Cetification of Vietnamese nationalities, or Certification that you lost Vietnamese nationalities, or Birth Certificate, or expired Vietnam passport, or Vietnam ID card.
If you cannot provide any of the abovementioned proof of Vietnamese identity, you can replace with a Letter of Guarantee from Vietnamese association abroad, or from a Vietnam relative. Include proof of Vietnamese identity of those who issue the letter.
Requirement for foreigners
- 1 application form for visa exemption
- 2 passport sized photos of 4x6 cm or 2x2 inches
- Foreign passport: an original and a photocopy
- Proof of ties to Vietnam (an original copy and a photocopy version): marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of family relationship, decision about adopting a Vietnamese child
- Fee: $20 for the first time and $10 thereafter, by money order to “Embassy of Vietnam”. (please contact the Vietnamese Embassy directly for the most up to date fee before making payment).
- Processing time: 7 days