Lang Fortress Street (Phao Dai Lang Street)
Lang fortress was built by French in 1940 with 4 cannons
Lang Fortress Street used to be a part of Yen Lang village, Thanh Tri district. Now the street belongs to Lang Thuong district. The 600-meter street has a bow shape, stretching from Nguyen Chi Thanh to Lang Street and crossing the historical vestige area.
Lang fortress was built by French in 1940 with 4 cannons. After August revolution, the fortress belonged to Vietnamese army. However, French colonial came back soon to invade Vietnam, leading to the outbreak of a war of resistance. It was the fortress which fired the first shot to French military camp on December 19 1946, opening the war of resistance. Soon after that, the soldiers in the fortress won a glorious victory by shooting down an enemy combat aircraft on December 21 1946. Moreover, people in Yen Lang village actively supported the soldiers these days.
Then the street was named Lang fortress to remember brave and strong hearted struggle of the soldiers and people. And Lang fortress became both a historical revolutionary vestige and an attraction. Visitors to the fortress can find many mementoes such as 2 cannons and many weapons the soldiers used to protect the capital.
Along with the fortress, the street has another vestige named Vuon Temple (Garden Temple) which worships a prince who fought to expel invaders in Ly dynasty. Traditional festivals with activities like sacrificial ceremony, singing cheo are held in Lunar January, April and July every year.
The street’s appearance has changed a lot recently because a crowded market was built. However, traditional culture and historical vestiges are always preserved to remind the future generations about gratitude to their ancestors.